Prep. time: 25 min + cook time 35 min
12 cups (2.8 L) cubed crusty French bread or Italian bread, about 1 loaf
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter 1 pkg (500 g) fresh pork sausage, casings removed
2 cups (500 mL) diced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 cup (250 mL) diced celery 2 sweet cooking apples, such as Gala, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh sage
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth 2 eggs
1. Arrange bread on rimmed baking sheet; toast in 350°F (180°C) oven until light golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
2. While bread is toasting, in large skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat; cook sausage, breaking up with spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove to bowl with bread.
3. In same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat; cook leeks and celery, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Add apples, pepper and salt; cook, stirring, until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Stir into bread mixture. Add parsley and sage.
4. In bowl, whisk broth with eggs; drizzle over bread mixture. Toss to coat.
5. Scrape into greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; cover with foil. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before continuing with recipe.) Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 20 minutes; uncover and bake until top is browned, 10 to 15 minutes.