Prep. time: 20 min + cook time 45-50min
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares, chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cold brewed coffee (I used instant espresso powder)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
Pumpkin Spice Ingredients
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream (I substituted evaporated milk)
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pour water to a depth of 1 inch in the bottom of a double boiler over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer. Place first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler over simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until melted. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.
2. Whisk together 3 eggs, granulated sugar, and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool 10 minutes.
3. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Line bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides. Grease and flour parchment paper.
4. Sift flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a bowl. Whisk into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, reserving 2/3 cup.
5. Whisk together pumpkin, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt; pour over brownie batter in pan. Top with reserved brownie batter, and swirl batters together with a knife.
6. Bake at 350° for 45 – 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool pan completely on wire rack. For easy cutting and the perfect slice, place brownies in refrigerator, uncovered, overnight to chill and cut when cold. When ready to cut, lift brownies from pan using parchment paper handles. Gently remove parchment paper, and cut brownies into 24 squares. Serve at room temperature.