Nachos can be an ultimate blend of comfort food and grilled nirvana. I have some fun ideas to bring your ultimate backyard nachos to life with whatever you have in your kitchen. Remember, your grill is like your oven. Anything you can do in your oven you can do in your grill.
HOW TO GRILL NACHOS
- Preheat your grill on high for 10-15min and set it up for indirect grilling at 350.
- Pick your nacho pan. Use a grill pan or our bread stone. Don’t have those? You can use any oven safe dish in your grill. Tip: make clean-up easier: grease your pan well with a cooking spray. The cheese from the nachos will bake itself onto the pan, so the spray will help tremendously!
- Start layering. Spread a thin layer of tortilla chips down first. Get creative. Doritos…nacho cheese…ranch flavored chips…yes! Have fun with it. You might not think this would work but trust me…the results are great.
- Spread an even layer of shredded cheese. Stay away from finely shredded cheese, it doesn’t melt or get as gooey.
- Stack as tall as you like! This is where you get creative. There is no right or wrong way to build the ultimate backyard nacho. Add grilled veggies and whatever proteins (including leftovers) you have such as steak, chicken, shrimp, pulled pork or brisket from the weekend bbq…you can’t go wrong. Then top with fire roasted jalapeños, serrano or poblano peppers for some kick. Jarred ingredients like olives or jalapeños work well too!
- Bake the nachos for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is gooey and bubbly.
- Remember that your grill is like your oven. Anything you can do in your oven you can do in your grill.
- Flavor tip: Balance the flavors, so if your salsa or guac is really flavorful, tone down the veggies.
- Grilled the veggies. Here is our Grill Master fajita blend for veggies.
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Coat the veggies in olive oil and season with the grill master blend.
Grill in a grill pan at 450 for 7-10 min.
- Julienne your veggies. The bigger the piece, the easier to grill and the less likely it is to fall through the grates. Dice veggies after they come off the grill.
- My favorite nacho dish: grilled steak, grilled sweet (or yellow) onion and peppers, and topped with some heat from fire roasted peppers.
So there you have it, whatever you have on hand can be used to grill up the ultimate backyard nachos. If you want to follow a recipe, then check out the 3 below. Have fun with it and share! We’d love to see what you grill! #StayInGrillOut