Are you a taco lover? These Sausage and Egg Breakfast Tacos will be a favorite for the weekend brunch.
There’s just something about cooking your breakfast outside, using a cast-iron skillet. I’m may not be into camping, but I am into outdoor cooking.
One of my favourite dishes for outdoor cooking is this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Tacos recipe. It’s perfect because it’s all done in one pan. And what makes it delicious is the light grilling of the tortilla shells over the grates to create a slight crispness. Fill the shells with the sausage and egg mixture, then pile on the toppings.
There are lots of variations to this recipe and you can make your tacos different every time. The fun part? You don’t have to make them for breakfast. Why not serve egg tacos as ‘breakfast for dinner’ as a fun weekday meal.
P.S. My husband said these were the best breakfast tacos ever!
- 1 pound of fresh sausage meat (removed from casing)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced pepper (your choice of colour)
- 12 eggs (beaten)
- 8 tortilla shells (8” size, white or wholewheat)
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Thinly sliced spinach
- Preheat a cast iron skillet to MEDIUM-HIGH heat (either on the grates or side burner if you have one). **You may need to add a bit of oil to your skillet depending on how seasoned it is**
- Break up the sausage meat. Add to the hot skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain out any excess moisture or excess fat from the pan. Add the onions and peppers. Cook for an additional 5 minutes (or until meat is cooked).
- Add the beaten eggs, salt and pepper. Cook stirring often until your desired doneness.
Remove from heat and keep warm until tortillas are ready.
FOR THE TORTILLAS
- Heat grill to MEDIUM-HIGH.
- Place the tortillas on the hot grates.
- Cook for about 30 seconds then rotate 45º and cook additional 30 seconds.
- Flip and repeat on the other side, be careful not to burn them.
- Place the warm shells in a taco holder for easier filling.
Garnish with your desired toppings!
Use any variety of sausage meat you like. Chicken, pork, lamb, hot italian, mild italian… whatever your preference! I used Maple Chipotle-flavoured sausages and they were fantastic. Any flavour of shredded cheese will work here. You can even use feta. For this recipe I used Tex-Mex. For some added spice, try things like Sriracha sauce, hot ketchup, hot sauce or a variety of salsas. If you want to add more onions and pepper to the mixture, go ahead. I used spinach, but feel free to use lettuce, kale or even arugula, if you prefer.
This recipe was cooked all in one pan. You can cook the eggs and meat separately if you like.
Gloria @homemade & yummy
Get more great recipes from the @homemade & yummy blog!