Slow cook that pork shoulder to perfection then try out this delicious rich meal in a cast pan.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Difficulty: 3/5
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- 500 grams (1.1 pounds) new potatoes
- 2 cups sliced or chopped carrots
- 2 cups of sliced or chipped celery
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Broil King Perfect BBQ Spice Rub
- 473 ml of light beer, Kölsch used in this recipe
- 1 cup 18% milk fat cream
- 1 pie shell or pastry sheet – premade
- 8 biscuits – premade
- In a large bowl mix the potatoes, celery, carrots, peas, BBQ rub, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix thoroughly and set aside. Preheat a large skillet over MEDIUM heat, melt butter, add shallots and sweat until softened. Add garlic to the shallots and continue to sweat. Add pre-seasoned remaining vegetables to the skillet, increase the heat and brown lightly, stir occasionally. Pour the beer in evenly, reduce heat to LOW and allow to simmer, stir occasionally. Let the beer to reduce roughly 10 minutes then add the cream, simmer for a further 10 minutes until starchy. Add the pulled pork and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat your gas grill on MEDIUM heat to a target temperature of 375°F (190°C). Season a cast skillet or pot thoroughly with butter then press pastry into the shape of the skillet. For a crisp shell bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes at 375°F (190°C) on your grill. Pour in the pie ingredients and spread out evenly, top with biscuits as evenly as possible. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.