- 1 recipe whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise then thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- barbecue sauce
- pulled pork (Broil King® recipe pulled pork)
- grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare pizza dough according to your favourite recipe, or thaw frozen dough. For ease or last minute preparation, shape the dough into very small (4-5-IN(10-13cm)) individual pizzas, and grill them on a preheated barbecue set to MEDIUM for about 2 minutes per side or until golden. Then let them cool on a wire rack. Stored them in a resealable bag until ready to assemble and cook. The crusts can be prepared to this point one day ahead and left at room temperature, or even weeks ahead and stored in the freezer.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-IN (30.48cm) skillet, and add the sliced onion. Cook over MEDIUM LOW heat stirring every 4-5 minutes, until golden and sweet, about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes total. Let cool. Meanwhile, grill the red pepper until tender, and set aside to cool. Chop into large diced pieces.
- Up to 3 hours before serving, spread a small amount of barbecue sauce. Scatter with a small amount of pulled pork and caramelized onion, sprinkle with grated Monterey Jack cheese, and top with red peppers. Just before serving, grill until heated through and cheese is bubbling, about 10 minutes at 190°F (88°C)