This week’s blog is courtesy of our friends at AquaMaster:
Despite needing water to survive, it tends to be overlooked by most people. There are so many amazing things about water that you might not know. For example, did you know that if all of the world’s water were to fit in a one gallon jug, the fresh water available for us to drink would be equal to only one tablespoon? Here are 15 more water facts we’ve compiled that we think you’ll find interesting:
- There are two kinds of water: salt water and fresh water. Salt water contains—you guessed it—large quantities of salt, while fresh water has a dissolved salt concentration of less than 1%. Only fresh water can be used as drinking water.
- Americans use five times the amount of water that Europeans use.
- A small drip from a faucet can waste as much as 75 litres of water a day.
- Frozen water is 9% lighter than water, which explains why ice floats.
- Water is the only substance on earth that is found naturally in three forms: liquid, solid and gas.
- A trillion tons of water is evaporated every day by the sun!
- If you ever catch a fever, be sure to drink lots of water—it regulates your body temperature.
- In Canada, there is more water underground than on the surface.
- Most of the water found on the earth’s surface is permanently frozen or salty.
- Less than 1% of the water supply on earth can be used as drinking water.
- More than 90% of the world’s supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica.
- The earth is a closed system that rarely loses or gains extra matter. Essentially, this means that the same water that existed on earth millions of years ago is still present today.
- Pure water has no smell and no taste. It also has a pH level of around 7.
- Canada is home to 25% of the world’s wetlands. In fact, it’s the largest wetland area in the world.
- Our bodies are 60-70% water; our brains are 75% water; our lungs are nearly 90% water; and our blood is about 82% water.
Check us out anytime on our website taappliance.com. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, for more of the TA Appliance Experience!